Tuesday, March 17, 2009

a new appreciation...

So I've been on many 'm' trips, and planned them for over a year. But it wasn't until this past week I learned a new appreciation for 'm's' living on the field.

For the past month we've been getting ready for a group of high schoolers coming from TX and another group of adults also from TX. We've put in a lot of work getting the location ready, getting information out about the weekends, planning for orientation for the groups, plus other odds and end information. I never realized just how much work goes into a week trip. It's a lot of work on this side of the field.

Then the week comes when the team gets here. Going to the airport, picking up 14 people, getting them to their location, taking them to get food, being their tour guides around the town. Within the first few days, it really stuck me that I'm poor! Not in a horrible way, but eating out isn't much of an option. And with a group, there's not much of a choice. So when they offer to buy food that's great as eating a meal out can be at least half if not all your daily allowance for food. I'm beginning to see now why 'm's' are so thankful for what we see as small things, because really they are huge things for them.

As I sat in the girls room in the hostel, I saw one bring out a bag of candy and I immediately spotted a Snickers. Ya see, they're my favorite those and Reese's. And gratefully, I got to have some Snickers and Reese's! And I thought, I've only been gone 2 months, I can't imagine how these 'm's' who have been here for years get along. I suppose they get use to not having things and finding new loves in their country.

And not only do you have this group here and needing to make sure they eat, sleep, and other things, you have your day to day activities that still must go on. They've still got to get the kids to school, have the normal English conversation groups, do laundry, go to the grocrey! It's not that easy.

I sit here and think though, that when my one supervisor says we were angels sent to them, I really see it. I know this isn't where we were planning on going, but I can see why we might be here. If it's just to have helped get ready for this group. To be a huge part of the orienation for the group. To be their guides around the town (and amazingly enough, sometimes a tanslator!). To get them from point A to point B. To help in watching the kids at dinner so they can better assist the other team. As I've said before, it's the small things.

So, yeah, I've got a new appreciation for those living on the field for long term. They are called.